Frequently Asked Questions
General GGL Help Guide
This is a general help guide for getting started in the GGL community.
Competition rules vary so please make sure to go to the competition's homepage and read the rules. Your competition admin is listed on the page as well and you can contact them with questions.
If you need urgent help or have a problem with a GGL admin, please private message GGL-DonKing, our Head Admin. Don can also be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or ggl-donking on AIM.
How to register and activate your account
Sign up for a free GGL account
The first thing you need to do to get started in the GGL is to create an account.
1. Click the orange "Join!" button in the upper-right area of the page.
2. Fill out all of the registration fields and be sure to set your time zone so that messages and match challenges are converted correctly to your local time zone.
3. Click "Join Now"
Activate your account
Before you can login to GGL you will need to activate your account.
1. Check your email, you should have an email from GGL titled "Welcome to GGL!"
2. In the email you will see a link to activate your account. Either click this link or copy and paste it into your browser.
3. This should automatically log you into GGL. You can go to your profile at any time by clicking your profile image in the upper left part of the page.
Now that I activated my account, what should I do?
Upload a new profile image
1. Click the "Change Profile Image" link below the profile image
2. Click "Choose File"
3. Choose an image or picture on your computer
Write a short bio
1. Click the "edit" button in the "About Me" section to the right of your profile image
2. Write a short personal bio for yourself
3. Click "save"
Start your blog
Use your blog to let people know what games you play or to just rant. Think of it like your personal news space to let your friends and other GGL members know what you're doing, playing, etc...
1. Click the "My Blogs" tab in your profile
2. Click "Create a new blog entry" on the right side of the page
3. Enter a title and body content for your blog
4. Click "Submit Blog" to post your blog
Now that my profile is setup what can I do on GGL?
Stop Playing With Yourself
GGL encourages you to connect with other gamers in many different ways: post in forums, share blogs with others, form or join a group, form or join a team, play in organized competitions, or run your own tournament for others. There's lots of different ways to get involved!
Group pages come with a whole bunch of functionality that is great for setting up your page. You get news, a forum, member management, ability to private message blast everyone, embed pictures and videos, and more.
Go to the GROUPS section of GGL to browse game and community groups or to start your own! Are you a Halo 3 fan, author of machinema videos for World of Warcraft, mod / map maker, a casual games addict, an MMO guild leader, an up-and-coming news journalist or blogger? Make a group for whatever you want!
GGL currently offers competitions for a number of different Xbox 360, PS3, and PC games. Go to the COMPETITIONS section of the site and click the "GGL" tab to browse the list of GGL-hosted competitions. You can also click the "Members" tab to show competitions being hosted by other members in the community. If you'd like to start your own competition just make a group, invite some friends, post news and rules, and manage your own bracket!
GGL Wire produces daily news and video coverage of the games, community and events in the videogaming world. Check out the RSS feed on GGL or go to wire.ggl.com for the complete experience!
How do I get setup with a team on GGL or make my own
If you want to participate in team competitions you will need to be on a team or start one of your own.
How to create a team and join a team
2: Click the "My Teams" tab in your profile
3. Click "Create a New Team Now" in the TEAM CONTROL on the right column
4. Fill out your team details and click save
Congratulations, you have successfully created your team. Here's a couple of things to do:
1. Click "Edit Team Details" in the upper right part of your team page to change your picture and other basic details.
2. Click the "edit" button in the "Team Bio" section to the right of the team profile image so visitors will know something about your team.
3. Recruit some teammates to your team. They can search for your team name or just give them the URL to your team's page.
4. Once at the page simply click "Join This Team" in the upper right part of the team's page.
5. If you were given a "Join Code" by the team leader simply enter the code to automatically join the team.
6. If you don't have a join code you can also just apply to join the team. A private message will be sent to the team leader and they can accept or decline your application.
Other things to do with your team:
1. Manage your roster by clicking "Manage Team Members"... you can search for new teammates, remove existing teammates, edit team roles, and more.
2. When your team joins a competition you will need to select which players will be playing in the competition. This is a "Competition Squad"
3. Your team can have multiple competition squads if you play in a lot of different competitions! To see and manage these squads on your team, click "Team Competition Rosters" in the upper right part of the team's page.
How do I play in a GGL competition?
To get started in a GGL competition, please do the following:
1) Read the competition rules by clicking the "rules" tab on the competition's page
2) Now you will want to select an opponent to play. If your competition is a bracket then your match is already determined for you by the bracket admin. If it is a ladder then you will need to challenge an opponent by doing the following:
3) Click on "challenge" next to the opponent's name that you would like to challenge.
4) Configure the challenge settings and submit the challenge to your potential opponent.
5) Your opponent will either accept, modify, or decline the challenge. You can view the status of a challenge in the "My Challenges and Matches" tab of your profile.
6) Once you have a match scheduled, please go to the match page to view the date/time and settings of the match.
7) If you need to coordinate any extra elements of your match, such as where to meet, game server, in-game lobby name, GamerTag ID, etc… please post in the Match Comments section of the match page.
8) After you have successfully played the match vs. your opponent, please return to the match page at any time and click the "Report Scores" link.
9) If you believe a match score was reported in error or your opponent cheated, please click the "Dispute Match" link, which will become available after scores have been reported.